It is an exciting time at Unified Healthcare for the Rural Underserved. We are conducting a job search for our first paid, full-time Executive Director. I have enthusiastically served as UHRU’s volunteer Executive Director for over two and a half years. It is now time to take UHRU to the next level with sustained, strategic growth, and we are seeking an experienced leader to get us there. I will continue to work with UHRU as Project Leader of the Georgia Colon Cancer Prevention Project.
You can read all about this exciting opportunity below.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you or someone you know is what we are looking for!
Teresa A. McLean, PhD
Project Leader, Georgia Colon Cancer Prevention Project
Executive Director Job Summary
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of Unified Healthcare for the Rural Underserved. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, fundraising, programs and strategic plan of the organization and the day-to-day function of the organization. Other key duties include marketing and community outreach. This is a unique opportunity to lead a young non-profit and guide the fulfillment of its mission to help underserved communities.
About Unified Healthcare for the Rural Underserved (UHRU)
Unified Healthcare for the Rural Underserved (UHRU.org) is an Athens, Georgia based non-profit founded with the mission to improve the health and well-being of rural and underserved people worldwide. Our goal is to reduce health disparities by increasing access to health care among underserved communities in Georgia and rural India.
In Georgia, we partner with federally qualified health centers and charitable health clinics to increase access to colorectal cancer screening among the underserved. We have formed a coalition in Athens that includes Athens Nurses Clinic, Athens Neighborhood Health Center, Mercy Health Center, Clay (Piedmont) Community Care Clinic and local gastroenterologists to provide this life-changing and life-saving screening. We donate our award-winning screening program to our partners to ensure our underserved community members receive this much-needed care.
In India, we partner with a local non-profit to provide access to health care for medically underserved individuals in rural villages. Our projects include breast and cervical cancer education and screening and identification and treatment of hypertension, diabetes, anemia, women’s health issues, childhood malnutrition and mental health issues.
UHRU is a young nonprofit with an ambitious strategic plan which mandates rapid and sustainable growth of its services to include expanding services to all areas of Georgia, broadening services to include more medical conditions and adding depth to services to include prevention, detection, treatment and cure.
Requirements and Responsibilities
Mission Focus: Ensure the mission of UHRU is maintained through leadership, outreach and the delivery of high-quality programs to the underserved.
Financial Performance, Viability and Development: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
● Participates in mutual development and goal setting for UHRU’s fundraising strategy in partnership with the Development Committee and Board to support UHRU’s mission.
● Develops UHRU’s funding plan and comprehensive implementation plan to meet UHRU’s development goals.
● Oversees administration of the funding and implementation plans.
● Fundraises and develops other revenues necessary to support UHRU’S mission.
● Partners with the Board of Directors, other staff and volunteers to represent UHRU externally through community events, marketing materials, presentations and media inquiries.
● Oversees the fiscal integrity of UHRU to include submission to the Board a proposed annual budget and regular financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
● Financial management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Board Governance: Works with board to fulfill the organization’s mission.
● Responsible for leading UHRU in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
● Responsible for implementation of UHRU’S programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
● Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that UHRU can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
● Ensures that services and funding relationships are robust enough to meet or exceed strategic goals and objectives.
● Responsible for the enhancement of UHRU’S image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure the operations of the organization are appropriate.
● Responsible for planning, organizing and directing the organization’s operations and programs.
● Responsible for the effective administration of UHRU’S operations.
● Responsible for signing all notes, agreements and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
● Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff as the organization grows.
● Retains a diverse, highly qualified staff and volunteers by providing career coaching, growth and personal development.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors. All Directors and the other members of staff, interns and volunteers report directly to the Executive Director.
● A bachelor’s degree is required; master's degree is preferred in Non-profit Management, Health Science, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing or equivalent
● 3 or more years of leadership experience at a social impact organization, state/federal agency or equivalent
● Demonstrated fundraising experience including excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community
● Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
● Experience working with a Board of Directors
● Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the board, volunteers, staff and donors
● Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community
● Demonstrated success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers
● Strong written and oral communication skills including excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
● Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
● Proficiency in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office Suite including preparation of data displays and reports
Position Type: Full-time, salaried
Salary & Benefits: Salary range: $45,000-$80,000. Commensurate with experience and education. UHRU offers a retirement incentive after 12 months of employment.
Position Details: Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until position is filled. The position is a combination of remote office work and in person in Athens, Georgia. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references with contact information by email to email@example.com.
EEO Policy Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact UHRU at firstname.lastname@example.org.